The University of Wollongong (UoW) is a research-intensive university with 340 courses on offer and an outstanding reputation across a broad range of disciplines. The University has more than 35,600 students enrolled and a staff of over 2,600. With three campuses in Sydney, four in the South Coast and Southern Highlands regions of New South Wales, and six internationally, it is estimated that UoW generates approximately $2 billion in economic activity every year.
UoW’s course and subject approval, course information publication and curriculum mapping processes were highly manual. This meant:
- Teams within Academic Quality and Standards, other UoW business units, external units and faculties were navigating cumbersome, overly complicated processes and systems.
- Data and information integrity, as well as overall efficiencies, were at risk.
- Course data was not contained in a single repository, so stakeholders didn’t have access to dependable information.
- As a result, the University’s governing body couldn’t make effective decisions on the quality and viability of a new course, causing delays in course approval and publication.
UoW wanted a solution that automated its manual processes, offered a definitive source of truth for curriculum data, and more importantly would allow the University’s Strategic Committees to focus on the most critical elements of course portfolio. They needed to concentrate their efforts on the strategic relevance of courses, sustainability, course performance and best practices – not administrative workflow.
UoW selected CourseLoop because it enabled end-to-end curriculum management on a single platform, and the UoW project team had confidence in:
- CourseLoop delivering a solution to meet UoW’s challenges and having the scale to support its ambition.
- Our experienced team partnering with UoW to plan, scope and design a solution that delivered core functionality in a matter of months.
- Our team’s deep curriculum management expertise and focus on building strong client relationships.
“CourseLoop gives us the flexibility we need to configure the system to meet our processes. We have a comprehensive approach to curriculum management and having a flexible, platform-based solution is essential.”
Powered by CourseLoop, UoW now brings order and structure to the complexity of curriculum management. For example:
- UoW has automated course and subject governance and approval processes and is close to establishing a definitive source of truth for curriculum information.
- There is a managed workflow to underpin robust and streamlined processes.
- At every step in the proposal process, information is tracked and made visible. The User Dashboard and Meeting portal give the team full collaboration capabilities and the key governance committees can now operate paper-free.
“Implementing CourseLoop has given us greater confidence in the integrity of our data and our processes. We can work faster and more effectively and now have the foundations in place for the next stages of development.”
The next phase of the project is seeing the implementation of the CourseLoop Publisher solution for student handbook (curriculum catalogue) publication. Following that, UoW plans to focus on providing more detailed subject outline information to students, and has the ultimate desire to leverage CourseLoop to deliver sophisticated curriculum mapping across all components, from courses through subjects, to assessments, placements and activities.
Find out more about UoW